Request for Expressions of Interest – NDIS Community Connector Project (CALD Communities)
The National Ethnic Disability Alliance (NEDA) is pleased to announce that it is working with the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) as part of the recently announced Plan to improve access to the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
As part of this plan, Minister Stuart Robert acknowledged the ongoing challenges that people with disabilities from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities face when accessing the NDIS and committed to addressing them.
NEDA is working with the NDIA to implement a component of the National Community Connector Project focusing on CALD communities in New South Wales, Western Australia and the Australian Capital Territory. We are happy to be working alongside the Federation of Ethnic Communities’ Councils of Australia (FECCA) who will be implementing the same project in Queensland, Victoria, South Australia, Northern Territory and Tasmania – see more here.
The aim of this project is to use a community-based approach to support more CALD Australians to understand whether they are eligible for support from the NDIS, and if so, access and utilise that support.
Request for Expressions of Interest
NEDA is now seeking Expressions of Interest from relevant community organisations who would be able to deliver Community Connectors services in one or more of the specified LGAs.
Successful organisations will employ new staff or utilise existing staff time to achieve positive outcomes in the identified Local Government Areas where participation levels in the NDIS are low. The program is initially funded for 12 months to July 2021.
These Community Connector staff will receive training and resources to support CALD Australians with disabilities to navigate the NDIS registration and plan development process. Services will be delivered by organisations with strong ties to CALD communities in the target LGAs, social service experience and connections with disability services.
Community Connector services will include:
- providing Assertive Outreach to CALD communities
- providing education and awareness about disability to CALD communities
- linking potential Participants to existing NDIS offices including using online platforms and resources
- supporting potential Participants and their representatives to attend relevant appointments
- building connections between potential Participants and Partners in the Community (PITC) or NDIS
- providing information and support to help potential Participants understand, access, and utilise the NDIS services
- providing advice to the NDIA staff and PITC regarding culturally sensitive approaches and culturally specific barriers
To lodge an expression of interest, please complete this form and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 6th July 2020
For any inquiries relating to the NEDA project, please contact Neha at email@example.com
For any inquiries relating to the FECCA project, please contact Alexandra at firstname.lastname@example.org